Cohort 4: MEfA Montessori Waldon Therapy Certificate Training Weekend
4th MEfA Montessori Waldon Therapy Certificate Training Course
Date to be advised
The MEfA Montessori Waldon Therapy Certificate Course comprises eight one-hour modules at Montessori House* over one weekend. The modules, described below, will provide intensive theory tuition and opportunities for reflection and practice. The weekend will be followed by individual study, therapeutic practice, module tests and an essay.
The eight modules:
- An overview of the work of Geoffrey Waldon and his notions of General Understanding, Motivation and Continuant Capacity
- Social Understanding and Interpersonal Communication
- Learning-how-to-learn tools Striking and Scraping
- Picking up and Placing, Piling, Sorting, Matching, Seriation (2D and 3D)
- Impediments to learning, perseverative and challenging behaviours
- Mark making and directed drawing
- The importance of solitary learning
- Learning how to learn: students working with the therapeutic materials
Geoffrey Waldon gave the results of his extensive observations, and the ideas underpinning his therapeutic work, freely to all who came after him. He did not want his work to be subject to copyright, rather for it to act as a spring board for others aspiring to help create productive, therapeutic experiences for people with challenges in everyday living and learning.
"The idea that the greatest obstacles to progress and adjustment in children are adverse behaviours which have been learned in response to environmental influences, and not something that the child has been 'born with', should give rise to a much more optimistic attitude to 'mental retardation', etc., than that which prevails at present. What has been learned, can at least in theory, be un-learned and, better still, undesirable behaviours can be prevented from being learned."
"The a-social or non-social lesson is not intended to take the place of the standard processes of education; in fact it normally occupies a small fraction of a child's waking time; an hour or so each day." Geoffrey Waldon, Learning How to Learn How to Understand, 1976/1985
Everyone is welcome to apply for this new and exciting course!
The three course moderators are Wendy Fidler, Carol Mannion and Ann Marie Palmer, all of whom are practicing developmental therapists with extensive experience in both Montessori and Waldon Therapy.
The faculty will be responsible for delivering the eight face-to-face modules, for observing and supervising students working with the materials, for marking tests and essays.
Successful students receive a certificate of competence and are entitled to add MEfA Waldon Therapist to their academic credentials.
Suggested Reading and Resources:
Learning How to Learn How to Understand by Geoffrey Waldon, 1976/1985
Every Child Can Learn - Using Learning Tools and Play to help Children with Developmental Delay by Katrin Stroh, Thelma Robinson and Alan Proctor, 2008
Autism and Understanding - The Waldon Approach to Child Development Walter Solomon, Chris Holland and Mary Jo Middleton, (2012)
The Waldon Approach to Education -
The fee structure for Cohort 4 is as follows:
Registration Fee: £90.00 (non-refundable)
Course Fee: £400.00
Total Fee £490.00
Cheques are payable to 'MEfA'
For credit card payments: Please call MEfA on 0208 305 2202
For Bank Transfers, this is the information you need:
CAF Bank Ltd
Account Name: Montessori Education for Autism
Please note that all fees must be paid in full before commencing the weekend of study
For further information, or to make an International Bank Transfer (IBAN), please contact us:
Montessori House*, 135 Westcombe Hill, Royal Greenwich, London, SE3 7DP United Kingdom
+44 (0) 208 305 2202 or +44 (0) 7710 433 994
- Complete and sign the Registration Form (if you wish to send it by email you may sign it on arrival at Montessori House)
- Include a copy of your Curriculum Vitae/Résumé
- Include a copy (photocopy or scan will do) of your DBS check - if you don't have one we can organise this for you
- Include your Registration Fee of £90.00