Welcome to MEfA Montessori - the support site for families, special educators, policy makers and press organisations who are eager to make a difference for children, young people and adults with autism and other special educational needs.
Who do you know with autism? Everybody knows someone with an autistic spectrum disorder (ASD). Autism is an internationally recognised condition which knows no social, economic or geographic boundaries and affects as many as 10% of children and adults to a lesser or greater extent. Difficulties arise with social, communication, language and sensory development and there are often difficulties with body language and physical coordination too.
What does MEfA do? MEfA assists the education of children with autism (and conditions related to autism) through methods of learning and education developed by Maria Montessori and in connection with this:
- we provide advice and support to families and carers of children with Autism;
- we provide information, advisory and advocacy services, training, day services, education, leisure and recreation for children with autism and we support others making similar provision;
- we promote, conduct and engage in research into autism, and we publish the useful results of such research;
- we collect and disseminate information relating to autism and we exchange such information with other bodies having similar objects;
- we provide financial assistance, make grants, loans and donations and we provide equipment and apparatus.
MEfA Patron: Phyllis Wallbank MBE
Montessori Education for Autism (MEfA)
UK Charity Commission No: 1136552
Montessori House 135 Westcombe Hill, Blackheath, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London SE3 7DP United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0) 208 305 2202